June 21, 2010

Making Room for Baby

I'm sure you're all dying to know what I've got planned for the baby's room, right? I don't want to keep anyone from sleeping at night so I'll give you a quick preview, haha. (I apologize in advance for the wordy post).

As I mentioned before (I think), I already had fabric collections picked out for the baby, boy or girl. Now that we know it's a girl, I've placed the order and received a delicious box from Fat Quarter Shop (LOVE that shop, btw. Can't say enough about their customer service and man are they fast).

Here's the fabric in all its glory...
Everything but the gingham is from the Dolly Dresses collection by Lakehouse. I decided I wanted to go with the fact that it's a girl but not with a theme or anything too princessey or anything like that. Just bright and cheerful with a feminine flair. I got a ton so I would have enough to make a patchwork bumper and a quilt to hang on the wall above the crib.



I'd said earlier that I might paint the room green, but after going through the fabrics, I decided on a periwinkle blue color. It's just going to work better with the rug we like and the curtain fabric etc.  I went with the color in the middle. I painted the room yesterday and I'm really happy with the color, it's not too blue and not too lavender.

I've painted 3 walls this color. The 4th wall will have white wood tongue & groove paneling, kind of like wider bead board, like this. I'm going to have white wood blinds and white trim too. The pink gingham you see above will be an upper gathered curtain that goes across the window with the white floral as curtains. I might add some rick rack or eyelet trim to the gingham curtain too, not sure yet. That blue floral on the bottom is going to be a crib skirt. I can't show you a picture of the crib because it's being given to us by a friend. It's a honey colored wood, very nice & simple, but I don't have it here yet.

 We got this dresser at IKEA and will place it along one of the colored walls with a changing pad on top. I can hide all my diapers & stuff in the top drawer. I might even use some of my fabric to make a colorful cover for the changing pad, we'll see how it goes.

I've already purchased some fun hand painted knobs for the dresser on Etsy. I'll show them to you when they arrive in a few weeks, but here's an idea...


We got new white closet doors as well (no more dark brown ones, eugh), I'll use two of the knobs on the closet too. Cute, no?

That's about all that we have lined up so far. I am still looking for a cozy chair. I kind of hate the usual nursery glider, so it's been tough. Not to mention the fact that Nick is 6'3" tall. Find a nice looking chair he can lean his head back on, I dare you! haha

I hope to pick up some fun artwork on Etsy too, but I haven't decided on anything yet. I know I love this..



and I saw this in a shop not long ago. I think it'd be so cute above the changing table/dresser.



So, that's how the baby room is shaping up. I'll post some piccies when I have them. It's hard to photograph a bedroom you know. :)

Here's a view of the bump at 23 weeks (disregard my face and hair, I don't photograph well and I don't exactly go get my hair done when I'm about to paint!). :) Too bad about the popcorn ceiling, let's just work with what we've got.

That's a home made belly band, btw. Yep, I'm not paying $20 for a stretchy piece of fabric. No sir.

10 comments:

Jess said...

I'm a new sewer and a new follower. Love the nursery ideas!!! Can't wait to see the finish product!

Christina J. said...

It's all looking great! You've come up with some really nice ideas for the nursery. Looking forward to seeing it all come together!

nancymoo said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
nancymoo said...

homemade belly band. genius. if I were a more resourceful sewer I would've thought of that * note for next time...
I think your picture is totally cute and your nursery is going to be spectacular!! What a lucky little girl!
I am doing the corner of the bedroom (we only have 1 BR) for our little boy (I'm 28 weeks) but I wish I had the talent to make everything like you are! I am making a few things, though...
Thanks for sharing this and spreading your creativity! :D

Trisha said...

It is so fun to see everything you are putting together for the baby's room. Love the fabric, it is so sweet. Those hand painted knobs are such a cute touch. I love that you went with the periwinkle instead of a green. I can't wait to see it all come together. BTW, you look really cute.

Mrs.Kwitty said...

Oh, I like the way this is shaping up! The prints are really cute, feminine but not girly-girly and I really like the periwinkle wallcolor! You and your little bump are looking adorable!
Smiles, Karen

Alexis said...

Getting ready for baby is so fun! I love your nursery plans... and you look terrific too!

mtnchild said...

I can hardly wait to see it all put together! Have fun with all the decorating.
Yvette

Beth Lemon said...

Love it all.

Philip Byrne said...

Always use vivid color. Kids love and need a colorful environment, in order to develop their visual senses and perceptive abilities. If you like a color in particular, choose that one as the base color and the decorations in related tones, colors: for example, you can paint the room into yellow and buy orange or green decorations.
Baby Room